Friday, May 3, 2013

Unity Painting

I've only been to a few weddings in my lifetime, but I was never a fan on the Unity Sand ceremony. It just seems like a bad idea to me. What if the cork comes out or you knock it off the shelf while cleaning sometime in the future? As a klutz, I can't trust myself with glass figurines, especially something that would become so priceless. Which brings me to the Unity Painting, same thought process, but its art work for your new home! 



What you'll need:
  • Canvas, any size you like
  • Stand
  • 2 acrylic paints of your choice (remember they're going to be combined)
  • Jars
  • Paint tray
  • Water

If you want to get fancy with it:
  • wax paper
  • painters tape
  • printer
  • paper
  • scissors 

So what do I mean by "get fancy with it?" Rather than just the plain paint, the fiancee and I decided to place tape cut outs on the canvas to peel off after the paint had dried. If you don't want to do this, skip ahead to the next section.

To do this, you'll need to take a sheet of wax paper and cover the waxy side with the painters tape, overlapping the strips to prevent gaps. I made mine about the size of an 8" x 11" piece of computer paper.



You can skip this part if you like, but to make it easier to shape the lettering I created a Word document with the text I wanted. The bolder the font, the better!


Its easier to leave the longest, straightest line on each one for last

Now for the back/neck aching portion, lay the printed sheet over the wax paper and cut out the lettering. I decided to leave the middle parts of numbers and letters, like "6" or "e," but that's totally up to you.

Artistic Preference

Before you peel off the wax backing, place your lettering where you think its best. Go ahead and use a ruler to mark a base line in pencil. It might take a while, but peel off the wax backing and place the letters/numbers as you like. Try not to touch the sticky side of the tape too much.

Now that the hard part is done, run your finger over the lettering to make sure its good and secure. Can't have the paint running under it.


 I used tweezers

Tah-dah! Your unity painting is now prepped for your big day: wedding or art project, either way!

 

Core of the Project


Set your canvas up on its stand with a paint tray (cardboard box) underneath. Make sure the canvas isn't touching the prongs, as it will create weird lines at the base of your art.

Mix your paint with an appropriate amount of water in their respective glass jars. You'll want the paint to be very runny for this, so just experiment till you find the consistency you like. We ended up doing a 50/50 mix to get the acrylic to not clump.



With someone holding the canvas steady, pour the paint at the top of the canvas, overlapping the colors so they mix. Now all that's left is to let your masterpiece dry, which could take a few days, depending on how thick your paints are.

Once its dry, peel off the tape! I used tweezers for this.


Voila! New art work!

This one is our test run before the big day. We figured why not create a matched set. The one from our wedding will have our last initial on it. 

Update: 

So, I didn't really like the original colors that I had used and decided to redo this project.


Rather than use a blank canvas, I placed the lettering as described above, but then I painted the canvas a nice chocolate brown. This insured that the lettering would show up better once the tape was peeled off.


 The best part is, no one will see the tape this way!

5 comments:

  1. I think this is a wonderful idea and love how your updated canvases came out. What size canvas did you choose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! I used an 8"x10" two pack from Walmart.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I'm attempting to do this for my wedding but the wax paper is not peeling off clean from the painters tape. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be the type of wax paper or painters tape you're using. Are you making sure to put the tape on the waxy side?

      Delete
  3. Could you please tell me how many oz of paint u started off with before u mixed it with water and did you use all of the mixture in your wedding day

    ReplyDelete