Thursday, May 16, 2013

Basic Pointillism



I was browsing Pinterest and came across this tutorial for making a string chandelier, but it wasn't the chandelier that caught my eye, but the painting in the background. I knew I had to recreate it, because let's face it, the apartment is pretty bland right now.

  I tried to track down the owner, but the URL 
 couldn't be found. If anyone knows the blog,
let me know so I can properly site them.


 

What you'll need:

- Canvas
- Paints
- Brushes
- Paper
- Pencil
- Pallet


 

Prep Work

To start, you'll need to paint your canvas with whatever background color you've chosen. Green is my favorite, plus it goes with the spring like theme I'm trying to create. You really only need three colors for this work: white, black, and your main color (green). The main color can be changed based on your shape. Even the leaves I could see as red or orange for fall. Maybe a blue background with white leaves, if you want a more winter look.



While you wait for the background to dry, go ahead and grab your paper. With a pen or pencil, draw out the shape that you're going for. I chose leaves, creating two sizes for variation. For symmetry's sake, fold the paper in half to create a mirror image, rather than free handing the whole thing.

Stars would be another cool idea. Maybe elephants!

Once the canvas is dry and you have your shape of choice, take a pencil and trace your stencil onto the canvas. Go crazy! It doesn't have to be perfect. I wanted mine to look like a tree, so I made sure there was a certain flow to the leaves.

Don't worry about the pencil lines, they should be covered up by your paint.


Painting

Now the fun, yet tedious part, painting your shapes!

Mix your colors on your pallet. I just used a plate and mason jars, because that's just how I roll. Dip the eraser end of your pencil into the paint and go to town. 



 This is what the finished product will look like, ish. It really depends on your color choice, shapes, spacing...etc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment